From: doctorDHD@xxxx [mailto:doctorDHD@xxxx]
Sent: Friday, July 18, 2003 6:41 AM
To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [DML] Idle Speed

I had a small oil leak, that seemed to be coming from the right side valve
cover gasket so I cleaned off all the oil and tightened a few valve cover
gaskets. The leak seemed worse but the valve cover gasket was dry. The oil
was
coming from a "hole" in the upper left hand side of the right timing chain
cover.
I quickly figured out that this "hole" was for bolt that I was missing ever
since I bought the car last October! I put a bolt in, snugged it down and
viola, no more leak. I drove the car and notice something very interesting.
It
now idled smoothly at the 750 rpm it was supposed to. I was ecstatic. So
all
this stuff about the DeLorean PRV being so sensitive to any vacuum leaks was
true I said to myself. When I got the car home the leak was fixed but while
the engine was running I touched the wires going to the idle speed motor and
all of a sudden the idle speed came back up to its previous state of rolling
up
and down between 950 and 1200. It idles fine with the idle speed motor
disconnected. Is this a bad ECU? What is the best way to trouble shoot
this?

Dave & 6530