Re: [DML] fuel filter and seal?

Be careful in the use of the teflon tape. Do not allow it to cover the
end of the fitting, it could block the flow of fuel. Stay back from
the end at least 1 thread. Do not get any pieces (shards) of the tape
into the fuel system. Do not overtighten the fittings, you could strip
the threads and in a rare case smash the end so that fuel cannot pass
through. There are cases in the past that were posted to the list that
said overtightening caused the fittings to cave in blocking the flow
of fuel. That may have been from the use of an incorrect filter or
maybe overtightening did cause it. In any case be very certain there
are NO leaks. The fuel is under a lot of pressure at that point and
even a minor leak will be dangerous. As fuel leaks get smaller
(especially when the fuel is under a lot of pressure) you won't even
see them, the fuel vaporizes as it escapes. The only hint will be the
smell. If it should ignite then it will become a miniature blow torch.
Without trying to scare you the fuel system can be a dangerous system
to work on if you do not take the proper precautions.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757