Re: Muffler Heat Shield

Dave - The heat shield that should be installed between the muffler
and the engine accessory belts is made from a mineral board (probably
asbestos). If there is no shield, you will experience higher failure
rates of belts, A/C idler pulley bearings, and possibly crankshaft
seal due to chronic exposure to radiant heat. You can get stock
replacements from your favorite DeLorean vendor, or you can fabricate
(or have it fabricated) a replacement using aluminum sheet metal.
That's what I did. I enlarged the profile of the replacement shield
to better protect the alternator and A/C compressor and drive
components. I believe that the good folks in England have done
similar things. I used .100" thick aluminum, and picked up the same
bolt holes as the stock shield. Because I extended the shield to
protect the A/C compressor, I had to fabricate a small brace that goes
from the shield to a nearby bolt hole on the left hand valve cover to
keep the shield from vibrating. Works great. Other people have found
different types of mineral board and had replacements made. Perhaps
somebody on the List who has done that can provide details?

Toby Peterson VIN 2248
Winged1