Vacuum leaks ([DML] Re: Stalls after starting)

Vacuum leaks ([DML] Re: Stalls after starting)

Vacuum leaks are fuel economy killers. Because engine is breathing
elsewhere than over air sensor plate, you have to open it further to
keep some sort of ratio that will combust. Ever notice that people
with vacuum leaks usually crank fuel mixture screw clockwise? (myself
included). You'll smooth the idle out, but at the cost of extra fuel
metered into engine.

PRV is a bit different from familiar domestic blocks. Will suck air
from the wierdest places (pull out dip stick -- vacuum leak). In the
bad old days loose valve and timing chain covers just leaked oil. On a
PRV they let air into engine. No joke: spray ENTIRE block with leak
detector of choice. You'll be amazed at what you find. Long gone are
days of just replacing a few hoses and tightening down carb/intake
manifold.

Re: fuel economy -- noticed on an eBay auction for repro window
sticker that original EPA was only 19 mpg. Since highway is in low
20's, that means upper teens in town should be normal (15 mpg may be a
bit low, but obviously couldn't be more than 17 or so). Remember the
RPM's we're pulling (why does my DeLo bring out the Mario Andretti in
me?). I notice most on highway. Virginia's lower speed limits yield
better economy than North Carolina. At time of original EPA cars
percolated 55 mph / 2000 rpm. Now I'm driving 80 mph / 3000 rpm.

Re: John Hervey's suggestion to diagnose distributor plunger letting
fuel out to injectors, I'd recommend popping out an injector itself
and placing in neck of coke bottle. If you actually want engine to run
like that you'll have to seal injector port. I used to do that with
3/4" hose and a plug streched over lip. Worked but was difficult to
install. When I replaced injector seals made an internal plug from old
seal and a bolt (smooth portion of shank). Much easier.

Bill Robertson