Re: [DML] SS frame question

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003, supremeadmiralsenn wrote:

> in less than 2 years) and he says he has access (bargain-priced
> access)to a VERY powerful engine the size of a small V6, potentially as
> poweful as 600hp! I said awesome, but what about torque issues? I've

And what about the cost? The trick isn't GETTING such an engine, it's
getting it running! I know where I can get a Mazda 20B rotary engine for
about $3000, maybe less, which is about the size of a small V6 and can
potentially make 600 HP (in fact, I wouldn't be at all surprised if this
is what your friend is talking about). And while this conversion has been
done before (someone was selling one about 6 months ago, which I might
have bought, except it is painted), it's a difficult motor to use, because
of all the turbo plumbing and electronics.

Anyway, Bryan Pearce told me that the stainless frame would handle such
power. And, what's more, he'll make the motor mounts to your
specification, so you don't have to fiddle with adapters. Actually, even
the stock frame, in good shape, would probably handle the power if you
were gentle with it, meaning that you should stay away from the drag
strip. The rear-engine configuration doesn't put very much stress on the
frame. The weak link would be the transmission, which would have to be
replaced with a Porsche (another swap which Has Been Done).

www.pearce-design.com is the web page for the stainless frame. I don't
remember the cost off hand. I seem to remember it is about $8K. But
don't quote me on that.