[DML] Re: Eliminating Angle Drive

It's a little more complicated than that. On the side of the trans
(actually the differential housing) there is what appears to be a
freeze plug. Immediately behind that is the back side of the ring
gear (i.e. the side without teeth). It would be possible to put some
kind of sensor in that hole, but the hairy part is that you'd have to
put something to count (teeth, magnets, etc) on the ring gear
carrier. There is nothing in place.

This is very similar to electronic tach applications used in other
cars, BMW for example uses a pickup on the diff housing to read the
ring gear rotation.

In the "other" application of the DMC Renault trans recall that the
ring gear is flipped over. I suppose that there is something
installed in that application to drive the speedo, but I've never
taken apart a Fuego trans to see what.

Honestly it would be easier to put a transducer on one of the inner
CV joints (like many aftermarket cruise controls).

Dave S

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Steve Stankiewicz