[DML] Re: Hood Struts

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Marc Levy <malevy_nj@xxxx> wrote:
> Have the DMCH door struts been fixed so they dont bend
> the mount when the door is closed??

Marc

A severely bent strut mount is one bit of damage that I have seldom
seen. The only strut mounts that I have seen severely bent were the
ones where the owners put a brace or clamp on the strut to hold the
door open in a parade. The brace on the body never broke but the
bouncing of the car did bend some back to a major angle. For a long
time I used Paul Pitman's struts but since he got out of the
business I have always used the DMCH struts. Everything seems fine.

The reason I preferred Paul's and now DMCH, is because the amount of
back pressure used to slow the door down at close to fully open is
in my opinion just right. Grady's struts don't seem to have any back
pressure. On hot days the DMCH struts allow the door to open smooth
while it is also slowed down by back pressure when near fully open.
That way the door does not open at full speed and stress the mounts
at the stop position. Grady's struts just seem to allow the door to
fly open. Often in Houston, especially on a hot summer afternoon, I
was more worried about the mounts breaking off when I opened the
door. I have always used the DMCH struts with confidence.

Harold McElraft - 3354