Re: frame rot

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Mark Fearer <mfearer@xxxx> wrote:
> Hello. I understand that the frame is a dual wishbone. What common
areas
> should one inspect when checking their frame for rust?
>
> Mark Fearer
> vin 3072
> Manchester, New Hampshire

Mark,

Being a New Englander myself,and knowing the harsh winters here(and
worse in your area)the number one place to check is in the front at
ALL the weld points in and around the crush tube area,number two area
is the space between the gas tank and the frame,as salt and sand
collects there,and is not easily dislodged,number three,is inside the
main body of the frame where the motor mounts attach as that is
another cavity where moisture/salt collects,and rusts the frame from
the inside out,you must remember the areas where the frame tends to
rust out is the area(s)where the frame was made from the thinnest
metals,and being made out of mild steel,does not help it out any,BUT
then you must remember,just how many cars from that time ERA,(81-83)
are still around without any frame rust in the New England area,JZD
had a good idea at the time about,epoxy coating the frame,it just was
NOT a good idea to put it on a mild steel flexible frame as found on
the Delorean.Basically the frame was so flexible,that I remember in
the early eighties,doing a ground up/frame off restoration on a
Delorean,and when I pulled the body off the frame,ONE of the front
wheels,was off the ground,as the shocks were frozen in place
there,but because of the double Y of the frame,the frame was in a
suspended twist,until I removed the frozen shocks,then the frame
reverted back to normal.Meaning every time that the DMC frame
(suspension)hit(s) a bad bump,or you jack up the car wrong,you either
put a hairline crack in your epoxy(OR even your WINDSHIELD)which when
cracked(the epoxy)will only get worse over time and expose your mild
steel frame to the elements.

Hope this helps
Claude
00570