Re: [DML] Air Conditioning does not work

On Sun, 1 Jun 2003, phoenix00622002 wrote:

> mistakes to the list I'm sorry. I just purchased a 1983 Delorean and
> the air conditioning doesn't work. What should I do as it uses the R-
> 12. Do I have to get a new one installed? I live in NJ where would I

What to do about it depends on what is wrong with it, of course :)

Occasionally you will find that the system just needs to be recharged; it
is 20 years old, after all. If this is the case recharging with R-12 is
no problem as R-12 is not that hard to get; most air conditioning repair
places can handle it. But if the system is leaky, then you need to have
the leak corrected - otherwise it will just leak out again. Air
conditioning places can test the system for this.

If it is leaking, you have the option of converting to R-134. But do not
let the shop tell you you are required to do so. R-134 is cheaper than
R-12 and is environmentally safe, but R-12 is also environmentally safe as
long as it stays inside the air conditioner, and the price difference is
not nearly enough to cover the cost of a conversion. So if your A/C is
not leaking, do not worry about it. If you do decide to go with 134, be
sure the conversion is complete including oil flush and ideally new hoses.
Even a well-converted system is not usually as good as the original R-12
and will increase wear and tear because the R-134 requires higher
pressure. Therefore I would not recommend converting unless you have a
serious problem with the R-12.