Re: PRV-6 in Peugot & Alternative.

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty@xxxx> wrote:
> I was just at a place that used to be a Peugot dealer and still
> repairs them for people that still drive them. They mentioned that the
> PRV-6 in the Delorean is the same as in the Peugot 505. I was
> wondering if anyone can confirm that and just how similar they really
> are. Also just what does it mean if they are similar, how common are
> they and would it be useful to get a dead 505?
> David Teitelbaum
> vin 10757

The first question would be how does the mechanic know that they're the
same exact engine? Appearance wise, I'm sure that they're quite identical.
However, based upon this same observation, even the PRV in the Volvo 260
appears to be the same as well, which we all know, they are not.

The online listing of PRV variants isn't totally complete, so the key factors of
engine version, and the compression ratios are missing. Both are indeed
listed as having a displacement of 2.8 litres. However, the list does say that
the Peugoet 505 motor is fueled by LH-Jetronic, and we know that the
DeLorean utilizes K-Jetronic. So we know that this makes them totally
different in the sense that the 505 version at least doesn't have the heads
drilled to accomodate the Fuel Injectors, and their supports.

Is there anything worth salvaging/adapting off of the 505 motors? Who knows.
If you're really interested, the only way would be to pick up a service manual
of some sort to check out the details such as the compression ratio and
whatnot. Otherwise, the comparison guide does show that the motor puts out
slightly more BHP than the DeLorean. But then again, even DMCH has
shown that with a little coaxing, the PRV is able to pump out qute a bit more
power. So technicly, it could be the exact same motor, but with only a slightly
better exhaust system.

If it were me, I'd just get a nice, low-milage Eagle Premier motor (early '88-'90
version w/electical distrib.), swap the lower crankcase & oil pan, drill the
heads to install supports, for the Fuel Injectors, and then just swap intake, and
fuel injection systems on over. Instant increase in displacement and BHP
that's even-fire, with minimal modifications (the hardest parts would be the
drilling, and the installation/removal of the motor). Then just slap on a nice
free-flow exhaust, and you'll be ready to go. No EFI systems to screw with
installing, buying, tuning, or even building for that matter. Just tune the K-Jet,
system and you'd be all set.

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"