Trunk/Bonnet Struts

Does anyone have any experience with using a pair of "Strong Arm" 4220 gas
struts for the trunk/bonnet? They seem to be about 1/2" longer than the ones I
have on now. They also seem very (? too) strong. It takes a lot of effort to
start closing the hood. They may have damping because they go up slowly.
They are discounted at $24.95 each.

(As an aside, when I try to search the archives of this list it seems that I
can only search a portion at a time. Is there a more complete method?)

Dave
6530