Re: Fuel Pump potential problem

I just removed a fuel pump that had the plastic on it. It was still
captured by the boot and clamp holding the pump in the boot. The glue
was all gone without a trace and when I removed the pump the plastic
fell right off. I don't think this is a big problem. The only issue as
I see it is if the clamp isn't tight the pump will slip down in the
boot when the glue melts that holds on the plastic. There was no trace
of the glue in the tank or on the pick-up filter. Even if the plastic
should get loose and fall into the tank I can't see how it can block
anything up. I agree the best course of action would be to remove the
plastic when installing a new pump and if it is on an installed pump
it should be removed. In all cases the clamp securing the pump in the
boot must be TIGHT.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757