[no subject]

Robert,
interesting, we had more or less the same idea with the individual time to
only unlock
or unlock and open the door. After I started to build that thing myself I
thought again and
decided that this would be too dangerous. I wanted a safe system !

Opening the doors independent from unlocking
opening each single door
no door opening via remote possible when ingnition/ Motor is on !!!!!
the least possible amount of electronical parts in the doors as possible,
as they could fail and open the door again at 120mph...
no extra drainig of the battery when in standby (one remote system is needed
of course)
small current to open.
no extra wires into the doors
low wight (no relays and stuff in the door)
As resistant against EMI as possible (cell phone rings, door opens.....)

This all lead me to the idea not to couple the existing locking system with
the door opener.
There's a yellow/white spare wire which end directly where to mount the
actuator and it ends
below the T-panel. So there's no extra wire to mount into the door beside
the ground connection
to the lock-solenoid. But I had to drill a hole from under the rear
headliner to get two wires inside
the roof. and that's the hardest job at all...if you have already installed
new headliners a few
months ago.
These two wires are connected to the yellow/white wires and two extra relays
which are themselves
driven by a modern Alarm/remote system with at least two aux channels. A
third relay will inhibit the system from opening the doors when ignition is on.

Another thing against rising the ON time of the door lock solenoids is the
large current they drain.
It's about 15A each plus a second solenoid or actuator to unlock (again 5-10
A !!!). So almost 50A altogether !!!

When talking about mounting points I thought there wold be already holes to
mount the actuator. But there aren't. I killed three drill bits for two holes
into the SS ! :-(

There are many ways to install such a system, but I think this way is the
cleanest solution.
No plug and play though.

What you thought to be +12V from the defogger switch are the 12V for the
mirror heating
which aren't used. But they only have 12V when key is turned.
But there are +12V for the door lights which are always hot, so this could
be used somehow, you are absolutely right.

I mean - build it like you want because just to have that feature is soooo
cool ;-)

Regards,

Elvis & 6548

--