re: [DML] Engine Swaps and tranny Questions (Buick Version-LONG)

re: [DML] Engine Swaps and tranny Questions (Buick Version-LONG)

The stock shaft is long enough if the pilot bearing is mounted in the outer
recess of the crank. The OEM Chevy-style bronze pilot bearing was in the
inner recess, I figured that the trans shaft missed that one by about 1/2
inch. You're right, that beat the hell out of the input shaft but it never
broke.

Darrell's spacer between the engine trans is about 3/4 inch. I drew it all
out to scale, it actually matches up pretty well although the clutch disc is
closer to the end of the input shaft than in the stock location.

A custom bellhousing can't change the geometrics of this - it depends a lot
on what engine block and flywheel you are using. This one in particular is a
1984 or so Buick GN if that's any help. 3.8 litre I think. The custom
bellhousing is 3/4 inch deeper than the stock OEM bellhousing - same
difference as Darrell's spacer.

Dave