Heater Hose Replacement

Anyone know which side of the heater core is feed and return? I
just did all the water hoses but I forgot to label the pipes that
supply the heater. I know it will work either way but I still
remember my high school auto shop teacher saying they should
not be reversed as lodged debris could back flush into the
system.