Re: [DML] re:Engine Swaps and tranny Questions (Buick Version-LONG)

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, webmaster@xxxx wrote:
> > ---On Rich's car, the transmission had failed in a somewhat common DMC
> > manner, i.e. the large nut that holds the main shaft together unscrewed
> > itself through the back end of the shift housing. I've seen this failure on
> > several stock cars so I'm not sure it was related to the high horsepower,
>
> I had this problem too, and it was thanks to Dave that it was quickly
diagnosed and easily fixed - new nut and a bit of ally welding locally.
However in conversation with my engine guy - Renault fanatic and veteran of
working on many many PRVs (including his own Renault 30 - identical
gearbox), was told that he had never seen this failure. This runs through low
powered R25's and 30s right up to the 400+hp Alpine A610's.
<SNIP>

Since the problem of twisted input shafts, and loose nuts drilling the case
seems to be related only to the DeLorean application of the UN1 Transaxle
thus far, is it possible that the model # for the individual transaxles is not only
representative of the gear ratios themselves, but of the grade/quality of the
internal parts used? Since the application was intended for the DeLorean,
perhaps Renault skimped on the quality since the cars were only going to
handle 130 bhp anyways? Or maybe it's a simular parts/engineering quality
issue such as the B27F motor vs the B28F?

Many people across the pond who are using the UN1 for various custom
applications don't seem to really have problems with it from what I've seen.
Plus, if I were to ever beef up the motor in my car, I would greatly prefer to
keep the stock tranny, if for nothing else it's shift pattern. The ability to quickly
shift between 1st gear, and Reverse has been a lifesaver when I've gotten
into some jams. Such as making a U-Turn, and then finding out the turn wasn't
tight enough.

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"