Re: [DML] DeLorean Floatation Device

Hello List - Not to beat this one into the ground, but I thought I'd
share my experience with this topic of handling at higher speeds. As
a reference point, you can find in Stainless Steel Illusion a section
where they talk about wind tunnel testing of the DeLorean. The
finding was that the car needed to be "nose down" a bit, or
aerodynamic lift would be a problem. Then, recall the fact that the
nose was raised late in the design/production phase for whatever
reasons. I found the aero lift at speed to be very annoying,
especially on turn number two at Pacific Raceways. Using custom
springs and shocks, I lowered the front of Winged1 3.50 inches. Then,
we did a little "wind tunnel" testing of our own using a video camera,
and water spray from a wet freeway, with the flow backlit using the
rising sun at dawn. Based on the footage that we shot of the spray
flow around the car, I also incorporated a 1.25" rubber lip below the
existing airdam. This addition, together with the lowering,
dramatically affected the aerodynamic stability of the car. Winged1
also runs cooler, and the steering effort is very consistent, due to
the slight vacuum under the car at speed. Downforce can be our
friend. Don't add weight to the front - all you do is increase the
polar moment of inertia of the car, resulting in slower turn-in, and
dramatic oversteer when you really screw up. Mike's post is very good
at laying out the facts.