Re: Clarification of the Coolant Self Bleeding Kit

Re: Clarification of the Coolant Self Bleeding Kit

My point in saying the bleeder kit isn't required is that on the cars
I have worked on, once bled they don't need any further attention
except to watch the level. I also think that adding an overflow bottle
is a better idea than the bleeder. Eventually any air still in the
system will be expelled and the cooling system will be air free. Now
if there are any leaks the coolant in the overflow bottle will be
drawn in lowering the level in the overflow bottle warning you of
leaks. IMHO the reason most cars aren't bled properly is that you need
to bleed the radiator too when initialy filling the system. It is a
little less convienient than the thermostat housing to do but it
should be done. All it takes is to loosen the small hose on the top
right side of the radiator till coolant comes out.
There are a couple of things I think make for a more reliable cooling
system. They are
Metal header bottle
Fanzilla (and otterstadt switch and breaker)
Overflow bottle
All metal radiator
This assumes that you have a well maintained, leak free system to
begin with. Old hoses, fan fail relay or bypass wires, origional
belts, bad idler pulley bearings, plastic header bottle, and old
anti-freeze are going to get you into trouble. It is not if but when.
Sticking the self-bleeder on is not going to help much. The bleeder
kit itself isn't a bad thing but it can't correct the problems it is
installed to overcome. If you are having problems bleeding your car
either you are not doing it correctly or you have coolant leaks.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757