Re: Spare Tire

Interesting - I had similar issues with mine. The tire shop was
unable to get the tire off the rim, although I've not heard of this
problem being widespread (I probably have a dumb tire shop guy). I
had them break the tire bead down from the rim, and then spent some
quality time with some emery cloth and steel wool cleaning up the rim
with the tire in place (I stuck some wood blocks in to hold the tire
away from the rim.). Works fine now. There is some sealant that can
help too.

The problem is caused by the 3 pieces of foam that are installed in
the bottom of the tire compartment. If any moisture gets in there
(and it does, thru the floor and the lid) the rim rusts and starts
leaking. Take out the foam and put some other weatherstripping in
there that only contacts the tire, not the rim.

Dave Swingle