Re: Front suspension damage

As the "fleet" of Deloreans age you will see more of this sort of
thing. Other areas of age related deterioration are the following
Radiators, the plastic tanks leak and blow off
Fuel line hoses particularly the return hose on the accumulater
All of the cooling system hoses
Vacuum hoses becomming brittle and hard
Frame rust
Header bottles
Dirty, rusty ground connections
These things I think should be included in any though inspection along
with too many others to mention! Maybe someone with too much time on
their hands could come up with a comprehensive checklist that we can
use at tech inspections. It could also be useful for looking at a
prospective car for a buyer. Having a checklist when inspecting a car
is very helpful so you don't forget to check everything. Every vender
has their version but a standardized one based on the results from
judging at the shows and the judging rules would be nice. Then
everyone would be "working off of the same page" and it could be used
to standardize the level of condition so it isn't arbitrary. Then if
someone describes a car as a #2 everyone could agree on what that
means. I would divide it into safety, mechanical, electrical,
cosmetic, etc so you can prioritize the things that need to be done.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Toby Peterson" <tobyp@xxxx> wrote:
> Knut - I'm sure that you're aware of the dangerous situation that
you
> were facing with the cracked lower control arm (LCA). These types
of
> cracks normally start at the welds where the sway bar attachment is.

> If the welds aren't properly stress-relieved after welding, residual
> stresses can lead to that type of failure. In your case, it was
> probably some edge damage or corrosion that helped start the crack.

> After the reports last year of cracked LCA's "in the fleet", we
> started to inspect the parts for cracks or other damage at every
tech
> session. I can't stress enough the importance of inspecting
critical
> components like this at every opportunity. In terms of the
bushings,
> I have one bushing that is starting to exhibit the same
deterioration.