Re: Porsche Motors in BTTF Deloreans

Hey Bob,
I don't think they used anything but original DeLorean engines in
the cars right throughout the trilogy... In BTTF3, when Marty is
going from 1955 to 1885, the car drives over the camera so you get a
view of the undercarriage, and in one of the frames you can clearly
see an original DMC oilpan, suggesting they stayed with the original
engines.

See ya,
John Dore, Ireland. #3810.

> Bob,
>
> After seeing the same information on the DVD a few months ago, I
did
> contact Stephen Clark (BTTF.com) to see if he had someone to
contact
> about verifying this info. He recommended trying a chat session
with
> Bob Gale scheduled earlier this year, but I could not get through
> with the question or he just ran out of time to answer every
request.
> I am still pursuing other contacts, with no verifiable details yet.
>
> As far as identifying the possible Porsche engines, the field does
> narrow quickly based upon the production periods of the movies.
>
> As for choice of Porsche engines, the flat six of the 911 models
> would have been a real challenge to fit in a Delorean without some
> substantial modifications to the engine cradle area. The early,
> normally aspirated 944 engines (4 cylinders) put out about the same
> amount of HP as the stock PRV V6, at 135HP through 1985.5 models.
> While the 944 Turbo engines put out substantially more HP, these
> engines were first offered in 1986 in the US, so the only Porsche
> Turbo 4 available for the first movie would be the 924 Turbo and
> that model made less HP than the normally aspirated early 944.
> However, Turbo engine transplants also imply complicated exhausts.
>
> Although I would have to listen to the details again to be sure,
but
> on the DVD, I think Bob and Bob alluded to more use of the Porsche
> engines in the second and third movies, allowing the possibility of
> using the later model 944 engines, either the 16 valve 944S engine
> or the even more powerful 944 S2, 16 vavle, 3.0 Liter 4 cylinder.
> The 944S is just shy of 190 HP, while the 944 S2 makes 210 HP.
>
> In any case, the engine sound used in the BTTF movies does not
appear
> to be a Porsche Turbo engine (they all have a distinct Turbo
whine),
> so it is much more likely that a modified 944 engine was used, for
an
> easier install or the air cooled, flat six was engineered into the
D.

> Until we find out from the BTTF gear head in charge, this topic
will
> probably keep us guessing for a while longer.
>
> Later,
> Rich W.
>
> --- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Bob Brandys <BobB@xxxx> wrote:
> > Just finished watching all the detail stuff on the BTTF DVDs.
Early
> on
> > in the DVDs they talked about the Delorean having a 4 cylinder
which
> we
> > all thought was wrong.
> >
> > Well, in the third DVD they talk about the Delorean's being
> retrofitted
> > with more powerful Porsche engines. This is news to me, but the
> sound
> > from the engines in the movies is certainly reminiscent of
Porsche