Re: To Rebuild to Part Out - That is the question.

Re: To Rebuild to Part Out - That is the question.

As interesting as this sounds technically if you are "parting out" a
car then (at least here in New Jersey) you are supposed to surrender
the title back to the State DMV where they then retire it. It is (I
believe) a federal law that prevents you from moving a vin # and title
from one vehicle to another. This is to prevent having a stolen car
and "cleaning" it up with a different title. In practice you can
"rebuild" a car if keeping the origional frame, vin and title. It
becomes a question at what point is it still a car and has a legal
title? To actually sell a title (and a vin plate) without actually
getting a car sounds a little illegal. If a seller was to sell a title
I think the best thing to do is at least sell the fiberglass body and
dash to the same person. (These parts hold the vin tags).
I don't think it is very economical to consider this unless you have
at least 1 parts car. Ask Dave Stragand what he spent not counting his
time and you will quickly see the economics don't make sense unless
the car is valuable in it's own right like it was a movie car or it
was owned by a celebrity.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757