Re: Steering Wheel

I only mentioned the nut because sometimes I have done dumb things so
I try to pass on my experience so everyone can benefit from it. Even
experienced mechanics do stupid things. Everyone needs to realize that
ANYONE can make a mistake or overlook the obvious.
Getting back to business, don't drill out and tap to M8. Use a thread
insert and stay with either M6 or 1/4-20. (For these screws going into
the metal of the wheel itself a course thread is stronger so don't tap
to a fine thread.) The reason is if you were to strip out the M8 now
what are you going to do? A thread insert is much stronger then the
metal of the wheel and should be alright at M6. It is very important
that the screws going into the wheel are long enough and are FULLY
threaded into the wheel so they won't pull out. Again the "pulling"
screw in the puller should be a fine thread to get the most power and
control in removing the wheel. An excellant tip also is to mark the
position of the wheel on the shaft so you can put it back on and it
points straight ahead when you are done. Swipe some old red nail
polish from your significant other, it works great, just a tiny dab on
the wheel and the shaft. You might have to answer some odd questions
if someone sees it in your toolbox though!!!! There is no torque spec
for the steering wheel nut so get it tight but not overly tight, the
wheel is a taper fit so it doesn't really need to be "gorrilla'd" on
tight. Heat isn't going to help you here, you can't get it hot enough
to make a difference without damaging everything nearby. Penetrating
lubricant won't help either because of the taper fit. If you can't
loosen it up the next step is to drill holes in a circular pattern
around the shaft and then beat the wheel off destroying the steering
wheel so get it off with the puller.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Elvis Nocita" <elvisnocita@xxxx>