Re: Toby TAB alternative

Dave's kit is a "catch" in case the TAB fails - it does not modify
the suspension in any way.

Harold McElraft - 3354

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Darryl Tinnerstet" <darryl@xxxx>
wrote:
> Shannon said "I recently learned of a bracket support for the
TABs that Dave Bauerle in Radnor, OH has made for his own cars &
clients of his in the past."

> A word of caution here - think about the geometry of the rear
suspension. The trailing arm twists as it moves up and down, due to
the upper and lower links being different length. This is what
keeps the "contact patch" of the tire in the same spot as it moves
up and down, and is the main reason for the rubber bushing the TAB
goes through. Any bracket that firmly captures the outer end of the
bolt is going to force the arm itself to twist, not something you
want to do. If the bracket is only intended to capture the arm if
the bolt fails that would be different, but I doubt that's the
case. 1963-1983 Corvettes put the rubber bushing in the end of the
arm and supported the bolt at both ends, but our setup is
unfortunately inferior to that. And this is precisely why Toby
chose to engineer a super bolt that would not bend or break.

> I seriously considered marketing a bracket like this myself,
without knowing Dave even had one, but passed due to the problem
noted above. I haven't actually seen Dave's bracket, but similar
ones were available years ago, and there's a good reason they
weren't widely used. If you need further proof, check out the new
stainless steel frames. I believe they use a modified trailing arm
that puts the bushing in the arm, ala Corvette.