Re: Trailing Arm Bolt Replacement.

Robert - Here it is, Saturday evening, and I just saw your message
about doing your TAB's this morning. I hope that it went well.
I'll run through your questions, just in case you put it off for a
day, or perhaps you want to check your work. The book says to
torque the TAB's to 55 ft-lbs. I believe they are assuming that the
nut is torqued, rather than the head of the bolt. Most people wind
up torqueing the bolt, so you should increase the torque value 10%
to account for friction, etc. However, if you apply grease or
antiseize compound to the bolt, including the threads, you should
reduce it somewhere around 10% - 15%. I normally apply antiseize
compound to the entire bolt, and torque the bolt to 55 ft-lbs and
call it good. The bolts that attach the bushings should be torqued
to 16 ft-lbs. The shims that are used for alignment should be put
back in exactly as they were found to preserve the original
alignment. I normally flip all of the big flat washers over to
provide a fresh face for the joint. These large washers need to be
placed correctly for the joint to function as intended. Most people
find that the washers are worn where they contacted the sleeves,
etc. I use ramps to give me room under the car, and then a jack to
lift the car on the side I am working on to allow the wheel to be
manipulated during installation of the new TAB's. This helps align
all of the sleeves, etc. so you can get the bolt in .. which can be
a challenge sometimes. I supply smaller flat washers with the kit
so that you can adjust the "grip length" of the TAB's based on how
many shims are used. At least one should be used under the self-
locking nuts. Also, please let us know what the condition of your
old bolts were. Inquiring minds want to know. Please feel free to
contact me offlist at tobyp(AT)katewwdb.com if you have any
questions or concerns.

(Moderator - Feel free to snip as you see fit)

Toby Peterson VIN 2248
Winged1

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "therealdmcvegas <DMCVegas@xxxx>"
<DMCVegas@xxxx> wrote:
> Saturday morning, I plan on replacing the Trailing Arm Bolts on my
car, along
> with the rubber bushings as well. Does anyone have any tips before
I start in
> on this job? BTW, it's a 5-Speed.
>
> Also, what specificly should I torque the TABs to? So far, I've
seen 50-55, and
> have even heard 60lbs. Which one is correct? And what should I
torque the
> bolts to hold the bushings in place to? And of course, are there
any nuts or
> bolts that I should consider replacing as well? I have a set of
Toby-TABs that
> I'm just now getting around to installing, and they came with new
nuts, and 2
> washers each.
>
> I have read that I should count the washers, and reinstall to keep
the
> alignment correct, and that I should grease the bolts where
they'll make
> contact with the steel sleeves in the rubber bushings too.
>
> Since I don't have a lift to place the car on, will ramps for the
rear wheels
> work? And if not, what should I use? Gut feeling tells me that the
job needs to
> be done, and soon. Rear clunking is getting worse along with
traction.
> Especially after I turned a corner and hit a VERY nasty pothole.
It sounded