From: gus@xxxx [mailto:gus@xxxx] On Behalf Of Gus
Schlachter
Sent: Friday, January 24, 2003 11:23 AM
To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [DML] Wheeeeeee!

Scott Mueller wrote:

> Warning
> Do not try this at home.
> The maneuver performed was accomplished by the grace of God.

Indeed. I did not write of this tale to brag, but rather to point out that
the car did not go completely out of control and was, in fact, quite easy to
correct with the proper techniques.

If the road had been even slightly wet, this would have been a very
different story; there's no doubt in my mind that the car would have spun.
I have done a 180 in the DeLorean by doing a panic-stop in a slight curve
under wet conditions, which is one of the things that popped into my head
when the back-end first broke out the other day.

I'm not sure that a limited-slip diff would have changed things any, either.
The idea there is to prevent robbing a non-slipping wheel of power, but
power to the wheels is what was making them slip. The LSD might help in
straight takeoffs on slippery roads, but the DeLorean will always be
rear-heavy and prone to oversteer.

For those of you not familiar with racing terms...

UNDERSTEER - when the front of the car hits the tree
OVERSTEER - when the side of the car hits the tree

Gus Schlachter
VIN #4695
Austin, TX