Re: Go Getting My DMC

For anyone who has to stretch their finances just to aquire a Delorean
is a VERY bad start. The car WILL need work (some a lot more than
others and not all cosmetic) and you will get very upset paying that
monthly payment on a car that not only doesn't run but you can't
afford to fix it! A used car willl need fuel system work, brake work,
tires, etc, etc, etc. I don't care how much you pay or how well it was
taken care of you MUST set aside some money for maintenance. Depending
on how much work you can do yourself figure at least $1,000 per year.
Don't forget insurance and registration. The more you use it the more
you need to put aside, tires and brakes and clutches don't last
forever and the ones on your used car already have some of their life
used up. The other main point to make is that to try to do these
repairs a little at a time is to invite unreliability until you get
everything right. After getting stranded by your car and losing
confidence in getting you home whenever you take it out you pretty
soon stop driving it, especialy with the Mrs. (or whoever). Most of
the cars I have seen need brake work immediatly, fuel system work,
tune-up, cooling system, wiring repairs, A/C, struts, etc. Before
buying a Delorean (or any old car) get someone who can look at it and
give you an honest opinion. A young prespective buyer isn't seeing
what he should, just what he wants to. After getting the car spend the
money all at once and fix everything RIGHT so you can have some
confidence in the car. Doing it in dribs and drabs will take a lot
longer and cost more (include the towing). Deloreans are a little
deceptive in that it doesn't have a paint job to go bad, they don't
show their age as much as most other cars.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Louie G <louie@xxxx> wrote:
> I have to agree with Jake on this one... I looked for 2 years to
find my "right" DeLorean... and even since then there have been a
couple of cars that came along that I've kicked myself over for not
waiting and continuing to look. All things totalled now I wouldn't
have done anything different... I love *MY* DeLorean... it's like my
child :-). I can't offer any advice on the loan situation... I was 19
when I bought my D a year ago... my parents loaned me the little bit
of money I needed to buy mine. And as Bill said... this should be a
happy experience! Yes... be warned DeLorean ownership isn't a bed of
roses 100% of the time... but it's the trials and tribulations of
ownership that keeps it interesting... and makes you "bond" with you
car. Anyways... good luck on whatever path you chose to take.

> Louie Golden
> #10115 Sanford, NC
>
> --- "Jake Vercelli" <jakev@xxxx> wrote:
> >The grass is always greener on the other side. It never fails!

> It's not too late to get your 1/18 scale Diecast DeLorean model! To
order, call 800/USA-DMC1 or visit our online store at
http://www.delorean.com

Ads, 6MB, POP & more! http://www.everyone.net/selectmail?campaign=tag