Re: [DML] Go Getting My DMC

I think the moral here is that any car no longer under warranty is going to have a
certain cost associated with regular upkeep, in addition to usual maintenance (oil,
tires, etc.). Particularly a car that is 20 years old.

That cost consists of parts, then labor which is the really tricky part. My DMC is
worked on solely by one of the DeLorean vendors, but mechanics not familiar with this
car will spend more time (and more of your money) doing the same job, and won't do it as
well; they frequently will perform unneeded repairs and/or make the problem(s) worse.

If you read this list, have a smattering of tools, and are brave, you can do 90% of such
work yourself. In my case, my available free cash exceeds my available free time, so
the car goes off to Houston. But in my younger days the situation was quite reversed
and I did a great deal of auto repair myself (although it was on a Datsun).

So I hate to discourage the new drivers from getting a DeLorean, but any car this old is
going to be on the "high maintenance" side. If you budget your wallet for the parts,
your calendar for the time, and have a bus pass, you can keep a DeLorean on the road for
many years without breaking the bank. If you expect to be able to drive it all the time
as long as you have gas money, it will end up as someone else's project car after it
sits in your driveway for 5 years.

Gus Schlachter
VIN #4695
Austin, TX