Re: [DML] Any Clue?? HELP!

David,

I almost hate to bring this up but when the D was parked for 1 year, did it
have gas in the tank?

If so, you may be suffering one of the worst DeLorean calamities known. If
you've been here for any amount of time you've probably seen people talk
about the fuel pump boot. This boot suspends the fuel pump inside the gas
tank. Unfortunately, the rubber used to make this boot is not compatible
with old gas that may have formed varnishes. The boot will soften and then
literally melt into the gas supply. The melted rubber is then sucked into
the fuel system clogging the fuel distributor, the injectors and all the
filters as well as almost every other part that handles the fuel.

Checking the boot is not difficult. Remove your spare tire and the umpteen
phillips screws in the large plastic panel under it. Once that panel is
removed you'll see two round covers on top of the fuel tank. One is plastic
with wires coming out of it, the other looks like rubber with hoses coming
out of it (and two small wires). Remove the large hose clamp holding the
rubber cover in place.

At this point you're about to open the fuel tank. Take every precaution
about working safely with gasoline. The car should be off at this point
and, of course, don't smoke.

Once the large hose clamp is off, you should be able to lift the entire fuel
pump and rubber boot out of the tank and have a look at it. Rub it with
your finger and see if it's very soft and oozing. If so, write back and
we'll help you with the much larger problem you may now have.

Now, if that's NOT it, it could be almost anything. Since the ether isn't
working, it is most likely something related to the spark. Take one of the
spark plugs out and ground the tip of it to something (FAR away from the
ether or any other source of gas) and have someone crank the car. If you
can't see any spark, concentrate on wiring and the coil.

Write back and let us know what you found.

--Rob Hook