Re: Need your opinions on this D

Save for the air box removed, the open window, and far worse sun
damage, my car was in pretty much the same condition before it got
back on the road. To hell with money, what this car honestly needs is
someone with a strong enough passion to restore it. The interior
looks fairly decent, as does the rest of the car. The chassis rust
issue may of course be a problem. And the same rust may be the
culprit on the clutch system (never heard of rust seizing
master/slave cylinders, but it could be possible). But you would
still need to replace these things anyway.

With just the pics I've seen, it is FAR from being a parts car, and
almost as far to become somthing in "showroom condition". The best
solution for this vehicle would be customization. Leather is nice,
but if you live in an extreme climate, or you plan on driving hard,
having the seats redone in a high quality cloth can really make the
car more cozy in the cold, and cooler in the heat. And of course you
won't slide around on cloth, and it's easier to care for. If you want
a better sound system, it's easier to cut the console, or install
custom speakers. Same with drilling louvers to install a 3rd brake
light, or drilling in the trunk to install a CD changer. Ditto on any
other *improvements* or accessories that you would want to consider.

The downside of course is that the start-up costs will not be cheap.
New fuel system, clutch system, tires, brakes, A/C, etc... Figure in
about $5-8K to get the car back into a solid, roadworthy condition.
Once it's mechanicly sound, you'll end up with the equivalent of a
blank canvas.

But if a custom car is not what you desire, you don't feel like
putting this much work into your first restoration, if money will
become a problem, or if worst of all you won't have the determination
to finish, then walk away from this car, and look for another. A good
driver that needs little maintenance/restoration can be had for about
$14-16K. And they will usually require far less initial debts after
their purchase.

Figure $6-8.5K for the car, same for the parts, and about 10 months
to a year to see it hit the road again. Less if you have more
money/time. And that is just to be a rolling restoration. If this
doesn't sound appealing, or isn't feasable, then pass it up.

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Paul <vrt10whips@xxxx>"
<vrt10whips@xxxx> wrote:
> Well I drove out last night and looked over the car with a buddy of
> mine as best we could. Heres what we found.
<SNIP>