Re: [DML] Radio Woes and interior stuff

> Should I trust BestBuy (or similar) to install new
> speakers and radio?

I wouldn't take the chance that they'd put a split in the interior trim
pieces that cover the rear speakers ($180 per side, last time I checked).
All I needed when I replaced my rear speakers was a hair dryer and a lot of
patience. I removed the door seals and used the hair dryer to heat the
portion of the trim pieces that wrap underneath the seals. Once it got warm
enough, it not only made the plastic pliable but also softened the glue
holding it down. I was able to just peel the plastic back, while being
careful not to create any splits in it. After that, the rest of the process
was simple (undo the seat belt, remove panel, swap speakers, etc).

> You can see between the headliner-backing and the top of the car if
> you look through the rear wind screen. How can I repair this?

My original headliner backing had developed the same warping issue (plus the
sections in the doors were starting to droop), so I bought the fiberglass
replacements from PJ Grady. It's certainly not the cheapest way to go, but
it has got to be the easiest.

Todd Masinelli
VIN 6681 (Nov '81)