Re: Moderating - A Hard Job

Not too long ago, there was a discussion on moderation and such
on this list. I don't think our moderators will allow this thread
to get that long again, but hopefully this got through.

If you want an unmoderated list, join DMC-Forum which got into
existence becuase of some people disagreeing on the DML.
I'm a member of both, and like both, but sometimes get
REALLY annoyed by DMC-Forum not being moderated...

On Tue, 29 Oct 2002 11:24:32 -0500, "Robert Hlavacek" wrote:

> Our DML Moderators have a difficult job.
[snip]
> I have a thought which may help, and everyone can add to it.
> If we can think of editing guidelines
[snip]
> These would be in addition to already written down guidelines.

The rules can be read at <http://www.dmcnews.com/Admin/rules.html>
and should pop up in all of our boxes next friday, as they do every
first of the month...
I think these rules are (or should be) sufficient, but unfortunately
a lot of people seem to ignore these rules
Just as they seem to ignore the fact that the DML has a VAST, well
searchable archive on-line, thus bothering long-time readers with
VERY simple questions about every other month (like the oil-thing...)

> One guideline might be that when a post is received on a valid DML
> topic, the post is allowed if it is by a higher credentialed individual
> than has commented to date. Example: A Masters degreed Chemical
> Engineer estimating the current condition of the underwater steel dies.

I sincerely DISagree with you here...

First of all this is the internet; you can be anyone you like and
anything you like. If I decide to claim I have a masters degree in
something, how can you prove I'm not??? I'm very sorry, but you can't!

This would be just as annoying as people not using their real name when
signing off a post. Which tells you more "JanTM" or "Jan van de Wouw"?
Both of those are me by the way...

> Credentialed people will stop sharing their knowledge with the
> DML if there work never makes it to the DML post.

I don't think the moderators would kill all of THEIR work, just the
things that don't make sense within the context of the DeLorean.
Having a title to put next to your name does not mean you have
absolute knowledge, it just shows you know a lot about a specific
subject in a specific context.

Being a chemist doesn't mean you know the know-it-all on oil; you just
happen to know a bit more about oil (and other chemical mixtures)
than the average person.

I don't want to start a flame-war, but wouldn't the world be a dull
place to live in if we all knew the same and liked the same?
We'd be like the Borg "resistance is futile".

I'm getting carried away, time to stop...
And NO I'm not dunk ;-) I don't even drink alcohol...

JAN van de Wouw
Thinking Different... Using a Mac...

#05141 "Dagger" since Sept. 2000