Re: CV Boots & Delco Alternator replacement

Re: CV Boots & Delco Alternator replacement

Although I am sure you might be able to find something that may fit
locally you are probably better off getting a part that you know will
work from a Delorean vender. There is no way to "split" a boot and
have it work. The split boots sold in the corner auto store do not
function well, they are intended for the "backyard mechanic" who
doesn't know what he is doing anyway. Besides if the boot is torn it
is best to disassemble the joint, clean out the dirt and old grease
and relubricate. A while back I think someone posted the procedure but
it should be in the Workshop Manual. It isn't that hard to remove the
whole half-shaft and then put it on your bench (or the floor) and go
at it. Make sure you carefully check ALL of the boots and replace any
that are questionable. Don't skimp on this as a boot is ALOT cheaper
then a joint!
On the alternater if the pulleys are out of alignment ie, they are
not parallel and in the same plane the belt will wear exessivly. The
only cure is to try to get things lined up better either by eye or
with a piece of string or a straightedge. Another cause could be the
wrong pulley causing the belt to ride too high or too low on the
pulley. A vee belt is not meant to touch on the "bottom" only the
sides. If it is out of line the fan on the alternater could also be
chewing the belt up. This is one of the pitfalls when you go out and
get parts and try to make them fit, you now have to figure out what
went wrong and spend more time and money correcting a fix that you
already spent time and money on. If you bought from a "D" vender you
would have his years of experience and support if the part he sold you
didn't work. In this case you are on your own. Auto stores don't like
electrical returns.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757
David Teitelbaum