Re: [DML] Re: DeLorean financing

Hello,

I am afraid you are falling into the 'almost perfect DeLorean' pre-owner
mentality! This is not an insult to you personally, but think of it as more
of a warning.
two years ago i bought an 82 previously owned by a member of the DML and was
in a couple of clubs in the midwest. We corresponded for about a month
before i purchased the car which i inspected myself and found the car to be
even better than the owner described as far as body, interior, engine, etc.
But you have to remember this is a 20 year old car. NO DeLorean that has been
'garage kept for 10 years' or 'low miles' is immune to the kinds of problems
ALL 20 year old cars have! my car 'seemed' nearly perfect when i bought it.
since then, i have replaced or rebuilt just some of these parts:
1. new clutch and ALL associated hydraulics and lines (none of it was broken
or poor, but it was 20 years old and were replaced as preventative
maintenence). the clutch was installed professionally because how many of us
have the time or means to drop a tranny? i installed the rest. approximately
$1600 when all said and done.

2. new radiator, water pump, cooling fans, all new water hoses, hoseclamps,
coolant flush, themostat, seals, gaskets, all associated mounting hardware.
approx $1800. (preventative maintenence). did myself.

3. New door lock solenoids, lockzilla, window regulators, associated
hardware. approx $900 did myself. all of it worked when i got it but i could
tell it was getting sketchy. did it myself.

4. fuel system - new fuel pump and all tank parts, new fuel injectors,
ENTIRE fuel system from metal lines and back rebuilt or tested and cleaned by
Grady. at least $1000 went there. preventative maintenence because it's
OLD!!!! did it myself of course.

5. ignition - plugs, wires, cap, rotor, ignition coil - $200.

6. speedometer parts - stainless gearset angle drive, dust cap, lower speedo
cable. $275? angle drive started to bug out two weeks into ownership. did it
myself.

7. misc stuff like new rear headliner, temp gauge, A/C mode switch, interior
fan motor, new alternator, belts, bearings, etc etc etc etc etc etc - easily
$2000 more. all myself as usual.

not to mention other customizations like lowering springs, stainless letters,
new stereo, other things not necessary to the car's function.

let's see - we're looking at maybe $7000 to $8000 put into what seemed like a
'perfect car' and my stainless isn't even banged up and my brakes were
rebuilt before i bought it AND my facias were already repainted! and my car
only had 41K miles on it - a south carolina car originally. i'm not saying i
got ripped off, i think i got a great deal on my car and i love it to death.
BUT all the stuff i have had done is VERY TYPICAL of ANY DeLorean that is
purchased. BUYER BEWARE!!!! expect to put at LEAST $5000 into any car that
is 'garage kept' and 'hardly ever driven except on a sunny day'. you can ask
any one of us owners and you will hear more or less the same response. once
you bought the car be prepared to flush thousands into it before it is
anywhere near respectable and ready for daily driving.

but that's not to say that it's impossible to buy a car that needs NOTHING -
but i doubt any of those exist that isn't known about by someone on the DML -
they all need SOMETHING!

be careful my friend,
Andy