the case of the unstable idle finally solved!

the case of the unstable idle finally solved!

Hey all,

at long last i am pleased to report that i have solved the mystery of why my
car never wants to settle down at idle!! the problem i have had for over a
year is that when my car is warmed up, it always liked to fluctuate between
500 and 1000 RPM, always wavering back and forth, never staying still like a
normal car should. i replaced lots of original parts including the whole
ignition system plus ignition coil, getting the fuel system evaluated and
adjusted by grady, playing with the throttle linkage, etc etc. nothing
seemed to work. i finally had the ignition timing checked again and this
time after some investigation it was found that my car was suffering from a
pre-advance condition at idle, which according to the shop manual shouldn't
be happening. when we checked around we found that the ignition vacuum
canister which is located directly behind the fuel distributer was not
operating correctly. it was causing the ignition advance solenoid to
energize prematurely causing the off-timing effect at idle. this is
something i never would have suspected or discovered if the timing hadn't
been checked!! we found that when we disconnected the middle vaccum line to
the canister and plugged it, the car returned to normal timing at idle and
the idle stabilized!! it was a beautiful sound!! today i got a new canister
from Grady and installed it and VOILA! problem solved.

now i just need to get my mixture checked again cuz i swear i am still
running a little rich...

anyway, if your car seems to be perfect except for the idle never wanting to
stabilize, you might try this test to see if your canister is broken too.
just one more thing to check!!

Andy

Soma576@xxxx
1982 DeLorean DMC-12 VIN#11596