Re: [DML]Only running on five cylinders, turning into desperation

Re: [DML]Only running on five cylinders, turning into desperation

Thank you all for writing back so quickly! I'm baffled and desperate!

> #1: Ensure distributor cap isn't 180 degrees backwards. Anybody
> remember if they are keyed?

The distributor cap can only go on one way, as there is a little notch on
the distributor housing. It is in the same position as the one we took off

> #2: Did you rotate distributor (timing)? Even if it's WAY off, you
> should be able to correct spinning engine w/ starter motor.

I never moved the distributor at all, I just pulled the rotor off and
snapped the new one on. They can only go on one way, right?

> #3: Are you SURE you're getting spark? Verify with a timing light. You
> need 10v into the coil to get High Tension (you can use the timing
> light on your coil lead as well as individual plugs).

We haven't used a timing light, but I had someone check at the plug wire and
he said there was spark. We can smell fuel, but I'm not sure if this proves
anything. Just a note, this car is my daily driver so it always has fresh
oil and fuel. It was running perfectly and started every time without
hesitation until the day my problem started. Somehow I managed to turn a
five cylinder running car into a car that doesn't run at all. I sure am
talented.

> #4: Did you use up all the gas in the accumulator? Unless you've
> modified, fuel pump isn't energized until engine is running. Try
> jumping the fuel pump relay.

I hear the fuel pump prime itself when I turn the key to the second
position. I tried cranking the engine off and on for nearly an hour. It
just doesn't respond. It doesn't even try. I just hear the starter motor
spinning and the engine kind of "kicks" on every revolution.

Keep in mind that I'm very new at this, but how exactly do I jump the fuel
pump relay? Where exactly is it and do I have to remove it and insert
something else? I'm trying to learn everything I can.

Well, I'm going to go and take a look at things again in daylight. Maybe I
should brush up on all my expletives and their proper usage. It seemed to
work for my dad.

Thank you all so much!

payne