Continuing: help!- start problem

<Just added this to a reply already written (follows). Seems like a
long shot, but would be real easy to eliminate. A catastrophic vacuum
leak will kill an engine. If something's gone wrong with your idle
speed motor that allows its full diameter of air slip into the engine,
car certainly will not run. Try isolating the motor itself with 3/4
inch vacuum plugs or caps. You'll definitely need to crack the
throttle plates without it.>

Starting to sound like a two person job...

Get someone to spin the engine while you check for consistent spark on
all 6 cylinders (use your timing light). If you've got a mark on
cylinder 6 (checked my Volvo PRV last night -- I don't), ensure both
banks timed OK. John Hervey's already approved your voltages. If
you've got fire in all the right places at all the right times, your
problem must be elsewhere.

In the bad old days, a car searching for idle usually indicated a
vacuum leak. But a vacuum leak diminishes at speed. And to kill an
engine, it would have to be catastrophic (like a loose carburetor or
broken intake fitting). Even so, the PRV only has a few routes in, so
go ahead and eliminate this one. Don't forget to check under the
air/fuel assembly where the cold start valve/idle speed motor enters
the intake (is 3/4 inch = three or four vacuum lines!).

Are you sure fuel supply isn't an issue? Remember -- DMC's don't
energize the fuel pump until AFTER the engine is already running. Try
jumping the fuel pump relay to force it on.

An engine will run on starting fluid alone. If you're *SURE* both
valve trains intact and timed OK, give it a healthy dose on the intake
side of the air sensor plate.

I'm still concerned about your 5 second cold start valve. That's an
awful lot of gas. Definitely try starting the engine with it unplugged.

Until your engine's running, don't mess with fuel mixture. I was
probably premature to state that you'd NEVER get it started, but would
an agonizing process of turning a little, starting the car, turning a
little...

Keep us updated.

Bill Robertson

>--- In dmcnews@xxxx, "Robin Glebes" <robglebes@xxxx> wrote:
> Hello again,
> Thanks for the advice so far, but the car's still not running.
I'll try