Re: [DML] Protecting the DeLorean Image.

Re: [DML] Protecting the DeLorean Image.

[Moderator Note: Please note that this post was approved because of its editorial content about the DeLorean image. This is NOT an invitation to speculate about Tilley's motivation on the DML. Please take discussions of Tilley's motivation to the appropriate forum. - moderator Mike Substelny]

I will need to disagree with you here because I believe this case is
different. Tilley is making himself look good by making the Delorean
look bad. Let me explain:

What better car to use for a questionable experiment than the
Delorean? There is so much confusion surrounding the man and the car
that anyone will believe anything you tell them about a Delorean.
Tilley is capitalizing on this idea by taking advantage of the
ignorance of the general public, and at the same time, making the
Delorean look worse than it is.

At the end of his experiment, what does he want people to say? He
wants them to say, "Wow, that's really great! It looks like Tilley
really has something here! Too bad he used a Delorean, because that
kind of car just can't handle going 70mph that long without losing a
wheel bearing."

In a sense, he's using the Delorean as an excuse to explain why his
experiment failed, knowing that it will keep the truth at bay for
awhile longer, thus giving him more time to sign up investors and
take a few down-payments. He's exploiting the ignorance of these
people, and at the same time, feeding the media more false rumors and
speculation about our favorite automobile.

In my 2.5 years of owning this car, I've had many a person come up to
me and rationalize why they would never buy a car like this. They
reasons they give are always false. "It's so heavy!" "Isn't it hard
to find parts?" "You can't get out of that thing in tight spaces."
People pay attention to the Delorean and the rumors they hear. But
they do NOT take time to find out the facts. When there are bad
rumors, the Delorean looks bad. That's just the way it is.

Make no mistake. This is the same prank that has been played by
every slick willy since the dawn of time; the promise of an
everlasting energy source. Except this time, he's making Deloreans
look bad too, which means I take it personally.

Aaron