Re: Something else to start a fire (fire cleanup)

Re: Something else to start a fire (fire cleanup)

Kevin,

The best way I have found to get rid of the odors associated with a
compartment fire is to run a small ozone generator in the compartment
for a few hours. Many detail shops have these devices and charge
either a flat rate or a hourly rate to remove stubborn odors. I'm
not an expert on this topic, but I have used ozone generators in a
few different applications and they have all worked very well.
As a side note, most air-to-air ozone generators work best in dry
conditions. This means try to schedule it for a low humidity day.

If a local detail shop does not have one, check for a service in your
area that cleans up buildings after fires - they should have a few of
these devices. A word of caution - since the larger devices for
building uses can generate substantial amounts of ozone, make sure
that the setting is kept at a much lower level, since you only want
to oxidize contaminents at the surface level and not any deeper.
If you do have too high of a setting or if you leave it on too long,
you run the risk of deteriorating vinyl and leather surfaces.

If you live in or near the Chicago area or can arrange to get here,
you can use my portable ozone generator to clean out the odors.
And before anyone asks, no I will not consider lending or renting
my generator if it involves shipping it to you and back to me.

Good luck with your cleanup.

Later,
Rich W.