Re: taillights won"t work (was: Breaking it)

Re: taillights won"t work (was: Breaking it)

In a message dated 8/19/02 8:51:53 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
chris@xxxx writes:

> After I fitted a reflector the other day in my rear tail light cluster.
> (Kindly offered by a DOC member as my car was always missing one) I cleaned
> both clusters which dramatically increased the brightness but have now
> noticed that my break lights have packed up.

Your electrical edge connectors may no longer be making contact due to age
and oxidation now that you've (presumably) had them apart and then put them
back together. Try using a pencil eraser to shine up the metal contacts that
you can see on the edge of the taillight board, and spray electrical contact
cleaner on both the board contacts as well as inside the plastic connector
sockets. Of course other things could be amiss and you might need new
boards. (PJ Grady has 'em.) But I'd start here.

Wayne A. Ernst