Re: Electric Delorean and cost

In addition to my delorean expierences I have an old electric car from the 1982 world's fair that doesn't run. I started researching electric vehicles, and discovered you can buy complete conversion kits (motor batteries, and even instructions in some cases) for less than $3,000, and I have seen such kits installed primarily in volkswagens. Most of the conversions are manual transmision cars however, and still take advantage of the stock transmission and clutch system.

I have always thought an electric delorean would be neat, but it would probably be really hot without air conditioning and perhaps underpowered as well. I have not seen or heard of this electric delorean in TN before, but I wouldn't be too quick to doubt the maker's claims about speed. Electric motors can spin just as fast as gas ones. I am a little surprised by the claim about power loss however, from the owner's description they kept the disc brakes. Many of the electric cars I've seen have power generator that help slow the car and recharge the batteries at the same time.

Joe Palatinus

VIN 17167 6808