Re: [DML] Main Oil Seal Leak

In a message dated 8/16/02 6:05:23 AM Central Daylight Time,
Delorean17@xxxx writes:

> Hi,
> My car has been dripping small amounts of oil on the garage floor
> recently. After putting the car on a hoist I can see that it is coming out
>
> of the rear Main seal.(parts manual 1/1/4 #23). I checked the pressure
> sender switch and that is not what is leaking. What would be the best way
> for me to replace this seal? Would it be easier to just remove the engine?
>
> Or can it be done on the car with the rear fascia removed? Any help would
> be
> greatly appreciated. I have been using synthetic oils in the car since
> I've
> had it, maybe that is speeding up the leak?
>

> Thanks
>
> David
> #6286, Grand Rapids MI

David,

i believe you are talking about the FRONT seal? the rear seal is behind the
flywheel.

synthetic will not necessarily cause an old engine to leak. the difference
is that every molecule of synthetic oil is the same type and size, as opposed
to conventional oil which has lots of stuff in it. therefore it is easier
for synthetic oil to flow thru old seals that didn't leak before.

as far as i know, the rear fascia is recommended to be removed to do this
job, or at least the muffler. i have never done this job nor have i seen
anyone do it.

Andy
Soma576@xxxx
1982 DeLorean DMC-12 VIN#11596