Re: Bizarre electrical problem

Switching itself? Not switching when the trigger is reattached? Are
you sure the relay itself isn't sick? Can Rich borrow one of yours...

Re: wiring diagrams -- we all love to reinvent our automobiles (myself
included). Sometimes it's safety. Sometimes it's survival (have you
considered simply switching that relay's trigger from under the dash?)
The down side is we end up with wiring diagrams of dubious usefulness.
Goober, the friendly neighborhood Volvo mechanic, played with my
harness in the engine compartment when he swapped PRV's, but I'm
finding all sorts of electrical surprises in places I don't think
Goober ever went. Of course I'm just making matters worse with hidden
headlight switches (finally fried the dash switch BTW -- thank
goodness for the hidden one), fuel pump activators, etc. But since I
am the last owner the car will ever have, no need to worry about
someone else cussing after me.

My travelling companion had electrical difficulties on last weekend's
trip to get our torsion bars adjusted. I boldly grabbed the wiring
diagrams, opened his chamber of horrors (my pet name for that hostile
territory behind the passenger seat), and said "whoa". Wasn't any
better under the dash. Didn't pull the console, but who knows what
lurked under there. His car has been "modified." We ended up duct
taping a temporary line under the vehicle.

I'd suggest starting with Rich's trigger wire and following it
backwards. Think of it as a treasure hunt (oh boy, fun!).

Bill Robertson