Bizarre electrical problem

Hi all

Since posting this to dmc_electrics, Rich has tried to chase this one down for the best part of a day and AFAIK has failed. I have also managed to put my glovebox back together :-)
--
Hiya

You could stare at the wiring diagram all day and not figure this one
out. I'm hoping someone with more knowledge than me of where the wiring
loom traces will have an idea on this one.

On #2727 we're having a really bizarre problem. The ignition relay will
not turn off when the key is removed. If you un-plug the switched feed
to the relay, it of course turns the relay off, but plugging it back in
does not turn it back on. From this I assume the relay must be powering
itself somehow (turn it on and the supply it's switching is somehow fed
back to the coil).

In thinking about this, when in the "powering itself" condition, we
removed each fuse in turn thinking that whatever system that was fed
from the ignition relay that was also powering the ignition relay would
be turned off by removing the fuse. Well it was a good place to start!!
Anyway, removing fuse #4 (Brake + DI Lights) immediately turned the
relay off, and with it removed the ignition comes on and turns off fine
with the key. Bizzarrely though, the brake and indicator lights STLL
WORK without this fuse in place.

Secondly

You know how turning the igntion on often results in the RPM relay
cycling once and turning the fuel pump on for a second or so? Well,
#2727 does NOT do this. However, with the ignition on, of you turn the
headlights on, or flash the high-beams with the stalk, the RPM relay
cycles.

EH?!?!?!

Oh well it's Rich's car, and he's at least as capable as me on
electrical things, so I'll just take a back seat and revel in the fact
that #1458 works beautifully, even if I can't work out how the damn
glovebox goes back together.....

Martin