Re: Re: Brake proportioning valve

On 03-08-2002, Jim wrote:

> I think that by 'self adjusting' he means that given equal pressure
> at the source, psi at all 4 calipers will be the same, provided no
> proportioning valves are used. Since the Delorean has a twin piston
> master cyl, if the bore and stroke of the master cyl is the same for
> both front and rear, the psi delivered front and rear would be the same.

When I had my last annual inspection (called an APK over here), they told
me they had to do actual running brake tests, instead of only on a roller
bench because of the 50/50 propostioning of the car. According to them
this was important of all the weight being in the back. On "normal" cars
there's a proportioning biased toward the rear of the car to make sure
that they lock up first, no matter whether you have ABS-brakes or not...
On a DeLorean the rear wheels are bigger, wider and loaded more, so with
50/50 proportioning the automatically should brake harder that the fronts.
The testrun was to insure that my car did not lock up in front first.
I know that in Belgium (our southern neigbours) a brake pressure limiter
is mandatory on the fronts to get around this, so far for "One Europe"...

I have no reason not to believe my shop, so I believe this information
to be correct. If you put other calipers (and disks) on the front that
brake harder the risk of locking up on fronts first increases dramatically.

BTW, my car brakes fine on the standard disks, calipers and pads...

JAN van de Wouw
Thinking Different... Using a Mac...

#05141 "Dagger" since Sept. 2000