Re: [DML] Smokey Yunik Delorean?

Smokey Yunick was a great engine builder for race cars and experimental
engine development for the big four, especially General Motors racing a.k.a.
Pontiac. Smokey was instrumental in restoring and saving the rear engine,
semi-gullwing Corvette from the late 1960s.

"Smokey died at 77 after a fight with leukemia. Yunick was easy to
recognize. Most of the time he would be dressed in a bright white overalls
and a cowboy hat as he chewed on a corn pipe. He had no formal education but
was considered one of the top minds in automobile engine design. He was a
revered icon in the industry.
Yunick also did research and development on hydraulics, fuel intakes and
engine mileage. He built an engine in the 1970s that he boasted could go
nearly 100 miles on a gallon of regular gasoline."

In 1981, DMC loaned Smokey Yunick a DMC-12 for engine evaluation and
engine high performance consultation. The car was offered for sale after
Smokey Yunick's death.

At the time of his death, Smokey Yunick was working on two projects. The
first was writing a book, actually a three volume set, dealing with his life
and racing exploits. The book will be published at the end of June or early
July. DeLorean engine work wasn't one of his projects.

Smokey's son offered the DeLorean for sale, as John Truscott of the
DeLorean Owners Association has information on the specifics of the car and
the current whereabouts.

I just watched a portion of the John DeLorean speech at the Cleveland
DeLorean show. John says that he is currently working with Smokey Yunick to
develop a new engine for his new car venture. I knew that DeLorean was a car
genius, but channeling to the dead with a "Ouija board" for engine work is
another.

Best Wishes,
Michael Pack