Re: Exhaust manifolds removal?

With all of my experience working on exhaust systems and parts the
best advice I can offer is that the most success I have had is not
with any liquids or sprays. The only thing that works most of the time
is the good old "smoke wrench" otherwise known as an acetylene torch.
Even with that I have broken studs and bolts, stripped threads, burnt
parts and fingers. You just have to consider Murphy's Law, "If it
sticks force it, if it breaks it needed replacing anyway!" In general
when you do exhaust work it is like working on old plumbing, you never
know how much you have to replace until you get it all out! If you can
get the nuts off the studs without damaging them (the studs) then
there is no need to remove the studs. When reassembling use plenty of
Never-Seize. Think of the next guy, it might be YOU!
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, "Mike Griese" <mike.griese@xxxx> wrote:
> Stian
>
> There really isn't a fix for this problem. About the best you can
do
> is to periodically soak the studs with a penetrating oil like Kroil,
> WD-40, or Liquid Wrench. Really douse them down and tap them with
> a wrench or screwdriver. This will help loosen up the rust between
> the nuts and the studs. The vibrations from the tapping will help
> the oil penetrate better. Don't start this until a few weeks before
> you are ready to remove the manifolds. Otherwise, you run the risk
> of loosening the stud and having it work it's way out of the block.
>
> If you happen to break a stud and there is something left to grip,
> I have had success heating the area around the stud with a small
> propane torch for about a minute or so. This gets the block to
> expand a little. Once heated, spray the stud with some WD-40.
> This cools the stud a little in relation to the block. Then
> grab the stud with a pair of vicegrips and turn it out.
>
> When you put it all back together, I would recommend using stainless
> studs, copperized split-ring nuts and Cop-a-Slip antisieze compound.
> Even if you never take the manifolds off again while you own the
> car, the next owner will really appreciate that you did.
>
> Mike

[snipped]