Re: [DML] Re: "Preproduction" car on ebay?

Re: [DML] Re: "Preproduction" car on ebay?

Okay, keep in mind what follows in this email is mainly "rumors" but I'm
sure if somebody took the time, they could prove them right or wrong...
Unfortunately I don't have the time or the resources on deloreans.....

A few years back as I was looking for DeLorean for myself (I still don't
have one unfortunately) I ran across somebody in Albuquerque NM who said he
had a Pre-Production model of the Delorean. Of course I was very skeptical,
but considering the history of the car, it could have been feasible.. See,
back when there was a Delorean dealer here in NM, when DMC went under, the
owner of the then Cadillac dealership kept around a dozen of the cars for
himself, and has been SLOWLY selling them in Santa Fe over the last 10
years. Each one is in PRISTINE condition. With that said, the gentleman
who was selling this "pre-production" car said to have purchased the car
from this former dealership owner (mind you, I honestly didn't have the time
to research this car too much, as I'll explain in a second) and one thing I
did notice about the car.....

THE DOOR PANELS DID NOT FIT WELL.

The owner went on to explain how the pre-production models had hand-tooled
panels, and the doors often fit really raggedly. And it was true, there was
an OBVIOUS problem with how they fit. Although they opened and closed well,
there was quite a bit of inconsistencies with how the panels fit with the
surrounding panels.

Anyhow, on to why I never bothered to research this car. It was in horrible
condition. Everything that members on this list told me to look out for
were there... Like Rust forming VERY CLEARLY on the frame, and obvious flat
spots on the tires from being stationary for so long... And tho he had just
replaced the fuel system due to it being sitting in a garage for so long, it
still seemed to run with a lot of fuel-type problems when the car was idling
and in motion. And lastly, although this car was supposed to have "been in
a garage" for the last 20 years, the Binnacle and ENTIRE front end of the
cabin was cracked, melted, or had other MAJOR problems. Almost everything
inside would have had to have been replaced, INCLUDING the leather. Since
his asking price started at 26,000 *before all the repairs I'd have to do*,
I figured I'd just keep on looking without even researching the history of
the car.

Also mind you, I know these problems did not arise from the dealership
owner, since his cars (and I've seen him sell several here in santa fe) are
always in near PERFECT condition, right down to fresh leather seats that
have been kept conditioned a couple times a year to keep them nice and
fresh.

Anyhow, I'm just lettin ya guys know, from the very short time I've been
into deloreans, what the owner in CA has said does correlate with what I've
heard about the pre-production cars. If he had to replace the panels and
paint it due to the unrefined grain caused by hand tooling.... It would make
sense to me.

Oh yeah, and that family that owns the 12 deloreans (they are still
unregistered cars, as the dealer is still in business) if they sell another
anytime soon, I'll let the list know. They are always in EXCELLENT
condition. But to my knowledge, they only do so about once every 3-5 years

Anyhow, I may be totally wrong in all of this, since I'm only going by what
I've heard locally and stuff... Take it with a grain of salt *smile*

-Sokar