Re: Yet another TORSION BAR ? Help DMC Joe

Re: Yet another TORSION BAR ? Help DMC Joe

The biggest problem with overtorquing the door struts to compensate
for a weak strut is the overstressing of the area where the anchor
bracket attaches at the tee roof. It will put more stress on that area
of the car with the possibility of damage. The other big reason you do
not want to overtorque is that if and when you do replace the strut
the door will bounce against the upper stops again overstressing a
weak area of the car and bending the pins that the stuts attach to.
There is no set # of degrees to set the torsion bars. The best spec I
can give you is that without a strut attached the torsion bar will
hold a door open between 2 and 6 inches measured from the bottom of
the door to the sill. I prefer to adjust on the weak side i.e. as long
as the door will stay all the way up even if I have to help it open
all the way a little. This keeps the stress as low as possible on the
entire door and body system. The doors will always work better when
warm so if you do this adjustment below 60 degrees the doors will be a
lot springier at 80 degrees.
David Teitelbaum