Yet another TORSION BAR ? Help DMC Joe

 Hi Joe and fellow DML'rs

I made a one tooth adjustment to my passenger door a few years ago, but at the time I didn't unload the bar in the process. My question is, how many degrees of rotation is typical from the Zero NO LOAD to a normal doors up position? Assuming a NEW strut is used and allowing for the typical variables of struts from different manufacturers. I'm just looking for the average degrees of rotation. Is it possible to permanently distort the torsion bar by over torquing it to compensate for a week lift strut. How much rotation is TOO MUCH?

Another local owner had to have one of the driver side door hinges replaced last fall. He took it to a local body shop and provided the with the service shop manual. When he went to pickup the car the drivers door would no longer open up completely by itself, only about 30%. He told me that prior too the broken hinge it worked fine and that somehow The guy at the body shop bent the torsion bar. I had a chance to talk to the shop owner that did the work. He said that he was afraid of putting any more torque on the bar for fear of it braking. I have not had the chance to see his car yet. I'm only going by what he told me. He has had the car less than a year and is not that familiar with the unique workings of it. I plan to see him some time this month too look over a few things and assess the situation with the door and possibly make another attempt at adjusting it. Just to rule out the possibility of a bad strut I will switch it with one from my car.

Dennis 5180 GULLWNG